Profile of Brigadier-General Yushau Dogara Ahmed, Director-General National Youth Service Corps
January, 2023 - Date
Brig Gen YD Ahmed was born in Kagarko, Kaduna State. He attended the Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, where he obtained a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Education (History). Driven by his insatiable thirst for knowledge, he went on to bag Degrees of Master of Education (Educational Psychology) and Master of Arts in Peace and Strategic Studies.
His military career began with his commissioning into the Nigerian Army Education Corps as a Lieutenant on 5th July 1997. In line with the Nigerian Armed Forces tradition of promoting professionalism through training and retraining of officers, he has attended several courses.
- Young Officers Course Infantry;
- Young Officers Course Education;
- Basic NAEC Officers Development Course;
- Basic System Approach to Training and Curriculum;
- Training Development Adviser Course;
- Advance NAEC Officers Course;
- Executive Management Course; and
- Course 30 of the National Defence College Nigeria.
His Military Postings and Assignments:
- Staff Officer Grade 3 Education: Nigerian Military School (NMS) Zaria;
- Military Assistant to Director-General: National Youth Service Corps,
- Record Officer: The African Mission in Sudan (AMIS);
- Commandant: Command Day Secondary School Ojo; Command Day Secondary School Enugu; and Command Secondary School Ipaja, Lagos;
- Instructor: Nigerian Army School of Education (NASE);
- Chief Education Officer: 3 Brigade;
- General Staff Officer Grade 1 Education: Headquarters Nigerian Army Education Corps (NAEC); and
- Assistant Director Education: Army Headquarters Department of Army Training and Operations
- The Senior Officer also served as Deputy Chief of Staff G3/G7 at the Headquarters Nigerian Army Education Corps; Deputy Commandant, Nigerian Military School Zaria; and Deputy Director Institute of Military History at the Nigeria Army Resource Centre. His last appointment was Director Department of History, Research and Archives National Defence College of Nigeria.
Brig Gen YD Ahmed assumed duty as the 22nd Director-General of the National Youth Service Corps on 30th January, 2023 following his appointment by the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Muhammadu Buhari GCFR. He immediately unveiled the policy thrust of his administration with the following focal areas:
Director-General's Policy Thrust
- Improving security, welfare of Corps members and Staff to engender optimal service delivery to the nation;
- Providing enabling environment for Research and Development for the advancement of the Scheme;
- Strengthening stakeholders' engagement for the promotion of the frontiers of the Scheme;
- Enhancement of capacity building to stimulate efficiency and higher corporate performance; and
- Deepening the impact of the Skill Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development (SAED) Programme.
The Director-General is working assiduously with the Management team and the rest of the workforce in a bid to actualize his vision for the Scheme.
The following are part of the accomplishments made so far
- Completion of the ICT Centre at the Headquarters Complex of the Scheme;
- Participation of Corps members in the successful conduct of the 2023 General Elections;
- Completion and equipping of the NYSC Skill Acquisition and Entrepreneurship Development Centre in Potiskum, Yobe State;
- Training of four hundred and eighty-six (486) members of Staff within the first Quarter of 2023 as part of his resolve to prioritize capacity development for higher performance
- Advocacy engagement with critical stakeholders leading to the following gestures of support by friends and partners of the Scheme:
Throughout his career, Brig Gen Ahmed has demonstrated loyalty, hard work and other excellent virtues, which earned him several commendations.
Following are some of the Commendations Earned
- General Officer Commanding (GOC) 1 Division (2008);
- Commander Nigerian Army Education Corps (2012);
- General Officer Commanding 81 Division (2014); and
- General Officer Commanding 81 Division (2019).
His decorations include:
- Forces Service Stars (FSS);
- Meritorious Service Star (MSS);
- Distinguish Service Star (DSS);
- Fellow National Defence College Nigeria (fdc).
- He is a Member of the Nigerian Army Resource Centre
- and Member, Teachers’ Registration Council of Nigeria (MTRCN) amongst other professional bodies.
- playing football.
- and traveling
He is happily married and blessed with children.